суббота, 3 декабря 2016 г.

December, the 3rd

It's a shame but I haven't done a lot today. I've only listened to the episode 90 of Luke's EP. In it he talked about phrasal verbs which are commonly used and which begin with the letters A, B and C. Here is the list of these verbs with examples:
VOCABULARY
Here are all the phrasal verbs I used in this episode:
A
to account for something -“All this traffic accounts for the noise in London”
to act on something -“I act on my ideas and make a podcast”
to agree with something – “I agree with everything you say”
to appeal to someone – “Living in Hawaii really appeals to me”
B
to back someone up – “My listeners back me up and vote for me”
to bail someone out – “The Bank of England had to bail out the high street banks”
to base something on something / to be based on something – “This book is based on a true story”
to begin with something – “The podcast always begins with a jingle”
to begin by doing something – “I’ll begin by giving you the background to this news story”
to begin to do something – “He began to start talking about crime in London”
to believe in something – “I don’t believe in UFOs”
to belong to something – “Some people belong to sects with strange ideas” “Why can’t ants go to church? Because they’re in-sects”
to blow someone away / to be blown away by something – “If I saw a UFO I’d be blown away”
to blow something up – “The army would try to blow up the UFO”
to break down – “My car broke down on the motorway” “He broke down and started crying”
to break up – “Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are going to break up”
to bring something down – “They’re going to bring the government down”
to bring someone down – “Don’t bring me down man!”
to bring something on – “bring it on!”
to build on something – “They want to build on the legacy of the Olympic games”
to build up an interest in something – “They’re using publicity to build up an interest in the olympics”
to bump into someone – “I bumped into Mike and we went for a few pints”
C
to call something off – “It would be embarrassing if they called off the opening ceremony”
to camp out – “To stay outdoors in a tent”
to get carried away – “Some people might get carried away and drink too much”
to catch up with a friend – “It’s nice to catch up with a friend and catch up on all the latest gossip”
to catch up on the latest news
to charge someone with something / to be charged with something – “The police charged him with being drunk and disorderly”
to clean something up – “I’m going to stay in and clean up my room”
to cling to something – “People cling to these old stereotypes about Britain”
to come across something – “I came across a lovely old pub which I didn’t know about”
to come along – “I’m going to a party, you should come along”
to come around – “Why don’t you come around for a cup of tea later”
to come through something – “He’s just come through a very difficult period”
to come up with something – “She came up with some really good ideas”
to concentrate on something – “You can concentrate on your English”
to consist of something – “A typical episode will consist of interviews, vocabulary and pronunciation”
to contribute to something – “He really contributes a lot to the team”
to convert something into something – “I can convert WAV files into MP3s”
to be covered in something – “My desk was covered in CDs”
to crack down on something – “The police are cracking down on internet piracy”
to cut back on something – “The government are cutting back on public spending”
to cut something off / to get cut off – “They might cut off the electricity” “Sorry, I think we got cut off for a moment”

I need to translate them or look up their definitions in a dictionary.
I've also read some pages of the third chapter. There are so many unknown words there.This book is definitely full of useful bits of vocabulary.
The weekend is never successful for me in terms of learning. I usually spend a lot of time with my family, cook something tasty because  on weekdays I don't have enough time for that.
I have one idea that can help me to make my preparation for the exam more effective but I will write about it later and only if I get what I want.
So, that's all for today. Bye! See you tomorrow.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий